Robotics Hands On and Interactive
An event for TAG students in grades 7-10 at Portland State University in Portland Oregon – April 4, 2009
The Oregon University System and Johns Hopkins University’s Center For Talented Youth are collaborating to bring a day of hands-on robotics to the Portland State University campus on Saturday, April 4, 2009 from 9:00 – 4:00. Faculty and students from several Oregon instituitions of higher education as well as experts from industry will be on hand to lead small-group sessions. The content and pace will be targeted towards high-achieving students. Students are not required to be members of the Center for Talented Youth (CTY) to attend; students must be accompanied by an adult.
This day‐long event will feature hands‐on sessions on a variety of robotics topics, including:
• Swarm robots – How can we create robots that simulate the behavior of cockroaches?
• Robotics teamwork – Small groups of students will each build part of a robot, and then put the parts together to get a working robot.
• Robotics sensors – What are sensors? How and why do robots use them?
• Robots that exhibit artificial intelligence
• Humanoid Robots that simulate human facial features while talking
• Robots designed for Mars exploration
• Parents’ session ‐Family STEM Learning (Science Technology Engineering Math) by keynote speaker Dr. Lynn Dierking
• And more …
Program cost is $80 per person. Breakfast pastries, beverages, and lunch are included. Registration and breakfast open at 8:00 a.m. The program starts at 9:00 and concludes at 4:00.
To register, please visit https://ctyjhu.org/cnonlineapp/introOnlineConfApp.cfm
or download the form at http://cty.jhu.edu/family/docs/08-09RegFormRevised.pdf
Membership in the Center for Talented Youth is not required, but please do include your CTY ID if you have one. Please register by 2:00 Pacific Time Monday, March 30, 2009.
You are registered once you have received a written confirmation form. Registered families will receive an advance packet with maps, schedule, and travel information before the event.