The GIS Internship Program is open to community college, undergraduate, and graduate students majoring in the fields of geography, technology, and civil engineering with experience in geospatial technology or an interest in developing their skills in spatial data technology in support of NASA’s mission. A student majoring in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM), history, archaeology or any other major and demonstrating an interest in working in historical documentation and geospatial technology (GIS) will also be considered.
Exceptional and highly motivated high school students with at least a 3.3 GPA and a demonstrated interest in entering a field such as geography, urban planning, civil engineering, or related area will also be considered.
Primary duties for GIS Internship position include:
- Support development, maintenance and data input in GIS for the Center.
- Perform updates to building floor plans and space utilization, environmental data, and center infrastructure.Assist with modifications of center spatial data and web interface while adhering to agency standards and procedures.
- Use marked-up drawings, as-builts, sketches, field surveys or tabular data.
Additional preferences and desired skills include experience with GIS data development and conversion and basic knowledge of principles of data collection, including GPS, digital cartography, GPS, AutoCAD, relational databases, planning, surveying, engineering (utility distribution), and remote sensing/aerial photography.
Primary duties for Historical Preservation Internship position include:
- Assist with identifying and organizing historic documentation for historic sites and structures of architectural and technological significance.
- Research will include using primary and secondary sources such as reports, photographs, and videos.
- Previous work with databases and geographic information systems (GIS) preferred.
- Preferred majors include archaeology or history with a preference for training as historian or archivist
NASA GIS Internship Eligibility (at time of internship placement):
- U.S. Citizen and age 16 or older.
- Community college, undergraduate, and graduate students with a minimum of 12 credit hours completed and a minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 required.
- Internship is also open to motivated high school students who are performing exceptionally in science and technology courses.
- Enrolled full-time or part-time with preferred major in Geography, Technology, Civil Engineering, History or Archaeology; other majors considered.
- Recent graduates must be officially accepted into an official academic program at the next level with plans to enroll the semester immediately following the internship.
- Internship placement is contingent upon verification of all eligibility criteria.
- This program is a student internship program and is not intended for recent graduates seeking entry-level or part-time employment.
Prior GIS experience or coursework is not required although a preference will be given to candidates who have experience and coursework in ESRI software (ArcGIS) or comparable GIS and are familiar with symbols, terminology, and accepted standards and procedures in GIS and mapping.
All interns at NASA are required to undergo a background security screening. This screening will take place after selection and before placement in the internship program. Students from outside the Hampton area are responsible for their own lodging, if needed.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2010. Please visit the official website for details, including online application forms. http://vsgc.odu.edu/GISIntern/