Pre-service teacher scholarships of $3,000 per student will be offered through a competitive process at Oregon Space Grant affiliated colleges and universities within Oregon. These awards will be offered in two disbursements, the first award in the amount of $1,500 during the Winter term, and the second disbursement in the amount of $1,500 during the Spring term (upon proof of satisfactory academic progress).
This scholarship program supports the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) objectives of fostering and encouraging career goals in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education. These awards are intended to support student progress towards STEM focused teacher certification. Individuals from under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Note: Students receiving awards in past competitions may apply and receive awards for subsequent competitions.
Six (6) pres-service teacher scholarships will be offered each year to undergraduate students working towards a STEM focused degree with the intent to matriculate into a STEM focused teacher certification program or graduate students currently enrolled in a STEM focused teacher certification program. Students must be enrolled full time at a 2-Year or 4-Year Oregon Space Grant member institution and must provide proof of both successful academic progress and continued work towards a teaching degree or certification.
For the 2010 Winter term competitions, dates and deadlines for all member colleges and universities are as follows:
• Application Deadline: January 8, 2010
• Renewal Deadline: May 7, 2010
Scholarships are open to students who meet the following eligibility criteria:
• Student is enrolled full-time at a 2-year or 4-Year member institution (see list of member institutions at http://spacegrant.oregonstate.edu/members.html) during the period of the award
• Student is pursuing an undergraduate degree in science, technology, engineering, math, or education with the intent to matriculate to a STEM focused teacher certification program or is enrolled in a graduate level teaching certification program.
• Student maintains good academic standing
• Student is a U.S. Citizen
Renewal disbursements, scheduled for the Spring term, will be awarded upon submission of a brief student statement and unofficial transcript proving successful academic progress. A formal request for these materials will be sent via email at the end of April. Awardees should follow instructions provided in the formal renewal request. All renewal materials are due no later than May 7, 2010.
For complete application instructions, please review the scholarship guide available for download at http://spacegrant.oregonstate.edu/OSGC_Scholarship_Programs.doc or