If you’re a second or third year, secondary science teacher, don’t miss the deadline, May 30, to apply to the NSTA New Science Teacher Academy, co-founded by the Amgen Foundation. If selected, this Academy supports Fellows through mentoring and other professional development resources during their initial, challenging years. Striving for quality science teaching, enhanced teacher confidence, classroom excellence and solid content knowledge, the Academy provides the following additional benefits.
- Full membership to the National Science Teachers Association
- Access to the web-based Learning Center’s tools and professional development activities and resources including web seminars led by national experts
- Use of vetted science websites, state and national standards sites, other professional organizations, safety tips, and more
- E-mentoring with an experienced teacher in the same science discipline and grade band
- Facilitated online curriculum devoted to science content and applicable classroom pedagogy
- Access to a nationwide, online network of science educators and scientists for exchange of information, ideas, and resources
- Participation in specialized conference pathway sessions, and a Research Dissemination Conference or a Professional Development Institute.
- Paid accommodations, airfare, meals, and registration fees to attend the NSTA National Conference on Science Education.
Who is Eligible?
- Applicants must reside in the United States
- Applicants must be entering their second or third year of teaching
- Applicants must be working a schedule with 51 percent of their classes in middle or high school science
Download and complete an application at the following URL: http://www.nsta.org/academy
May 30, 2010 is the deadline for receipt of all applications.