Pre-service teacher scholarships of $3,000 per student will be offered through a competitive process to individuals attending OSGC member colleges and universities. These awards will be offered in two disbursements, the first award in the amount of $1,500 during the Winter term, and the second disbursement in the amount of $1,500 during the Spring term (upon proof of satisfactory academic progress).
This scholarship program supports the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) objectives of fostering and encouraging career goals in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education. These awards are intended to support student progress towards STEM focused teacher certification. Individuals from under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Note: Students receiving awards in past competitions may apply and receive awards for subsequent competitions.
Four (4) pre-service teacher scholarships will be offered during the 2010-11 academic year to students working towards a STEM focused degree with the intent to matriculate into a STEM focused teacher certification program or graduate students currently enrolled in a STEM focused teacher certification program. Students must be enrolled at a 2-Year or 4-Year Oregon Space Grant member institution and must provide proof of both successful academic progress and continued work towards a teaching degree or certification.
Dates | Deadlines – OSGC Pre-Service Teacher Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarships
For the 2010-11 academic year competition, dates and deadlines for all member colleges and universities are as follows:
- Application Deadline: June 30, 2010
- Award Selections: August 4, 2010
- First Award Disbursement ($1,500): October 2010
- Second Award Disbursement ($1,500): March 2011
Scholarships are open to students who are Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors, or first year Masters students as of April 30, 2010 and who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Student is enrolled at a 2-year or 4-Year member institution (see list in Section I of the scholarship guide) during the period of the award
- Student is pursuing an undergraduate degree in science, technology, engineering, math, or education with the intent to matriculate to a STEM focused teacher certification program or is enrolled in a graduate level teaching certification program
- Student maintains good academic standing
- Student is a U.S. Citizen
Required Application Materials – OSGC Pre-Service Teacher Undergraduate and Graduate Scholarships
- Letter of Intent: Indicate your career goals as they relate to STEM education and how this scholarship will contribute to those goals. Include other information that you believe qualifies you for scholarship consideration. (Suggested length 250-300 words)
- Student Resume: Include relevant employment, education, and extra-curricular activities. Resume should also provide current contact information including email, phone, and mailing address.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: Letters should specifically address your qualifications for this scholarship and must be submitted on letterhead with complete contact information and signature. Inclusion of letters with the application package is preferred but recommendations will be accepted separately if received by the stated deadline. Note: If sent electronically (either with the application package or separately) the letter must be sent from the email account of the individual making the recommendation or submitted as a signed, scanned document. Please use the email/mailing address listed in Section VII of the scholarship guide.
- Academic Transcript: An unofficial transcript printed from the student account of the college or university website is acceptable.
- Completed Combined Application Form: See page 13 of the guide
Renewal disbursements, scheduled for March of 2011, will be awarded upon submission of a brief student statement and unofficial transcript proving successful academic progress. A formal request for these materials will be sent via email prior to the renewal date. Awardees should follow instructions, including deadlines and student statement guidelines, provided in the formal renewal request.
Details regarding this opportunity are available online in the Oregon NASA Space Grant 2010-11 Scholarship Guide available at the following link: 2010-11 OSGC Scholarship Guide