I’ve had a lot of questions from students regarding the application process for NASA’s summer internships. To answer most of your questions, NASA has prepared the following instructions for students. These instructions apply to any opportunities you may find on the NASA One Stop Shopping/ SOLAR website at intern.nasa.gov. Remember, most applications must be received no later than February 1, 2012… so apply today!
If you are interested in applying for a NASA internship during 2012, please follow the detailed instructions below.
- Go to http://intern.nasa.gov/ (OSSI:SOLAR Launch Pad)
- Click “Quick Launch to apply for Internship, Fellowship, or Scholarship opportunities” located in the top banner next to the SOLAR logo. If nothing happens, click it once or twice again.
- The next display should read “Premiere of Solar” on the left and a clickable box labeled “First Time Student Users Register” on the right. Or, if previously registered, click the box to the right labeled “Current Student Users Login”and go to step 5.
- Complete the registration form to setup an applicant account and the Student Profile.
- Once the account is created, select the “Getting Started” tab for applicants interested in obtaining more information. There you will also find three informative streaming videos or student tutorials.
- If an applicant has any questions, they should select the “Need Help? Click here” link at the top of the applicants Dash Board.
- There are six sections that must be completed in the application. They are:
a. Personal Information
b. Educational Information
c. Work History
e. Skills, Awards and Educational Activities
f. Acceptance Statement
- Applicants are required to identify at least one professional reference (usually a professor or previous mentor). It is recommended that applicants contact these individuals in advance to let them know they will be receiving a SOLAR generated e-request from NASASOLAR on behalf of the applicant. The deadline for references to submit their letter is the same as the applicants to complete their application.
- Once all six sections are complete (including receipt of at least one letter of recommendation), the applicant can then apply to up to 15 opportunities. Be careful to only apply to opportunities you are eligible for and strongly interested in being considered for. Remember, more is not always better.
- The deadline to complete your application for Summer 2012 is February 1, 2012.