These Directed Energy (DE) internships are concerned with the research, development and testing of high energy laser and high power microwave components, systems and effects at Federal laboratories and universities at sites around the country. Most of these positions are made possible by funding from the High Energy Laser Joint Technology Office.
These paid summer internship positions are available for currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students at U.S. colleges and universities. Positions are open to U.S. citizens only. The disciplines include but are not limited to these: science – physics, chemistry; engineering – electrical, optical, chemical, mechanical, and materials; mathematics; and computer science
Generally, interns will work for the summer in a laboratory or university under the tutelage of full time researchers. Work may include experimental, theoretical, or computer modeling and simulation, depending on the position. Specific work assignments, hours and pay will vary.
The organizations below are expected to offer these internships in 2012. Those with active links are already accepting applications.
- 711 Human Performance Wing – Texas
- Air Force Institute of Technology – Ohio (Application deadline: 10 February 2012.)
- Air Force Research Laboratory – Hawaii, New Mexico
- Army Research Laboratory- Maryland
- Naval Postgraduate School – California
- Naval Research Laboratory – Washington, D.C.
- US Army Space and Missile Defense Command – Alabama