We’ve just received word that NASA has decided to extend the application period for all summer internship applications processed through their SOLAR website until March 16, 2012. This extension includes summer internship opportunities for nearly all of NASA’s centers and programs. This gives all of you procrastinators out there (you know who you are!) more than an additional month to complete applications. Just remember that the NASA mentors will begin to select students beginning Feb 2. Applications completed by the beginning of February will be a part of that first round of selections. NASA has positions for students interested in or studying various areas in science, technology, engineering, math, business, education, and many other topics.
To apply for a NASA internship, head to the SOLAR website at https://intern.nasa.gov/solar/web/public/main/
Basic Eligibility Requirements Include:
- U.S. Citizen (either by birth or naturalization) is required in order to apply in OSSI:SOLAR to be a NASA intern or fellow. If selected, you will be asked to provide proof of citizenship before the internship or fellowship begins.
- If you have questions regarding your citizenship, please refer to the U.S. Department of State website. (http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_782.html)
- A Permanent Resident Alien (PRA) or Legal Resident are not considered U.S. citizens and are not eligible for NASA student opportunities available through OSSI:SOLAR
- At the time the opportunity begins, students must be accepted/enrolled full-time in an accredited U.S. college or university.
- High school seniors are considered freshmen when applying for internships. Before beginning an internship, a high school senior must have been accepted to an accredited U.S. college or university with plans on attending full-time.
- Grade point average of 2.8 or higher on a scale of 4.0
- Some internship and fellowship programs will require a higher GPA. However, a student will be able to submit an application with a GPA of 2.8 or higher.
- If your college or university does not use GPA, you will need to explain the grading method in the application
Current NASA internship and fellowship opportunities for international students can be found at https://intern.nasa.gov/content/internship-information/solar/non-us-opportunities/index.html.